Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whining about Weaning

Me, not Liam. After continually saying I am going to stop breastfeeding, I have finally started the transition. Liam is a trooper, he is taking to the bottle with no problem and I am a bit hurt by it. I know it is completely ridiculous feeling. I was so ready to give it up, or so I thought. Needless to say, I didn't realize how much of an emotional decision it is. Once you stop, you can't go back. Liam will never again need me like he did during breastfeeding and we will no longer have that special bonding time. And a materialistic reason it also makes the decision difficult is the cost of formula! But there are definite pluses to stopping. I don't have to plan my life around not exposing myself in public, I can follow how much Liam is eating, and he passes out while eating his bottle, which makes nap/bed time so much easier than the "after breastfeeding play time" we are used to. The most important thing is that he didn't act like he was getting enough on breast feeding alone anymore, and now he seems satisfied. So, even though some might think its a little early, I am going to stick with the weaning because I think it is time. We are down to 2 breastfeedings a day, his first in the morning and right before I go to bed. I'll probably stick with that for a couple of days, then cut back to one and then none. I want to avoid clogged ducts and infection and all of that mess, so I'll take it slow. I am lucky I stay home most of the week, so I can be flexible with the schedule. I am just going to stay positive and we will make it through! If anyone has any advice, please feel free to share!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are Mama, you know when the time is right!

You might want to try stretching the feeds out abit longer than just 2 days though, your supply will take a little bit longer than 24 hours to adjust to each feed you are dropping. There are no rules to how long weaning should take!

Good luck xx

Chunky Knubby Navel said...

He is adorable! Oh, those cheeks! =)

Whitney

Mama Katie said...

Thank you for the advice Miss Holly! I guess I didn't realize how long we can last w/o drying up!

Thank you Whitney! <3 New Readers. I am off to check out your blog!