Saturday, November 20, 2010

Book Review: A Summer Affair

Before I get into the review, I just want to say where this is coming from. I love reading. Before Liam came along I read continuously. It is definitely more staggered now, but I miss it. I mostly read romance, especially the smutty ones and thrillers or suspense. But now that I plan to do book reviews, I think I should branch out. Not just that, I feel like I should read something with a little more meaning, something that will inspire or touch me. So I promise I will try to get all the recommended reads and get reviews up. And just a disclaimer I am not an author and do not have any professional experience, these reviews are just based on my personal opinions. So please feel free to disagree, just do so politely. Also, sorry if the first couple of reviews aer mucky, I am sure they will get better the more I do them. Thanks! Onto my first review....


Synopsis (Always from book unless otherwise stated): Claire wants it all and in the eyes of her friends, she has it: a devoted husband, four beautiful children, even a successful career as an artist. But when serving as co chair of Nantucket's social event of the year propels Claire into the orbit of billionaire Lock Dixon, unexpected sparks begin to fly. Lock insists on working closely with her - often over a bottle of wine - and before long Claire can't ignore the subtle touches and lingering looks. To her surprise, she can't ignore how they make her feel, either. A Summer Affair captures the love, loss, and limbo of illicit romance and unchecked passion as it takes us on a brave and breathless journey into the heart of one modern woman.

My Rating: ★★★☆☆

Being my first book review, I don't want to get all crazy, but I think three stars is generous. The book was really slow going and extremely anti-climatic. Hilderbrand does a nice job with descriptions, but nothing really excited me. I didn't connect to any of the characters. The story does a nice job of showing some of the pressures of a wife and mother and how it can push you to do things out of character, but it just skims the surface of the consequences. I felt it was lacking a lot of depth and detail. There was a lot going on, but not in the good way. In my opinion, this book fell flat, and I would not recommend it.

No comments: