Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving/Black Friday

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with lots of good food and more importantly family time. What are everyone's traditions? I grew up with a huge family and holidays were extremely special. We always went to my mom's side of the family and had a huge shindig. Mostly at my grandparents or my Aunt's house. We ate a lot of food and spent time together. They are some of the best memories of my life. Unfortunately, time always changes things...people move, people pass away. We don't do that anymore. Now my dad's side of the family is very different and we have been going there for most of the holidays. I am not really talking about my sister or brother, but extended family. It's just not the same. The value of the holiday somehow disappears on who cooks what and how and your joyous banter is replaced with complaining and vulgarities. I make them sound terrible. Really, they aren't. I love all of my uncles and one Aunt, but they are better individually, in smaller doses. Something happens when they all get together. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I saw them all because I rarely do, but I am not sure that's the tradition I want to make with Liam. I want him to have those memories I do with my mom's side. The importance of togetherness and what holidays are really about. We were able to go to one of my best friends since elementary school house today where they celebrated their Thanksgiving. It was intimate and special and a great representation of family. They are some of the best people I have ever met. I had a fantastic time. Anyway, like I said, things change. I guess it is time to make our own traditions.
Mommy on Thanksgiving

Liam's 1st Thanksgiving

Grandpa and Liam

Tired little boy


I also was able to go Black Friday shopping with my mommy and Joel. We got a whole bunch of stuff for Liam (mostly because he is the most fun to shop for)and my nieces and nephews and a few things for me. My mom kept saying "these dolls are ugly", ha, it was funny. My little boy is such a trooper, he got up and braved the crowds! Like he had a choice...


Now let's start working out to work off all of our food!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm sorry your Thanksgiving is not the same. I moved away from my family so I didn't even get to see them except for Skype. It is not the same. But we were able to start a new tradition here. :) Trav's mom and brother came into town, where we enjoyed a Thanksgiving meal (that we cooked!!). It was nice. But I can say, its not the same as seeing your big family.

P.S. I love all the pics of Liam as usual and loved that he braved the crowds... like he had a choice! Ha.

<3 Ash

Jet-Setting Divas said...

Liam is so cute!

Anonymous said...

aww.. Liam is so adorable! :)

-Mia
http://miafied.blogspot.com